STHANA BALA – This is the positional strength of a planet. Sthana Bala consists of five components:
1. The first one is called Ocha Bala – closer to exaltation degree.
2. The second one is called Saptavargaja Bala. To calculate this we will have to look at the dignity in the following seven harmonic charts: Rasi, Hora, Drekkana, Saptamsa, Navamsa, Dwadasamsa and Trimsamsa.
3. Ojayyugma Bala – even or uneven sign or navamsa.
4. Kendra Bala A planet in a kendra house (1,4,7 and 10) gets 60 Shashtiamsas, a planet in the house 2,5,8 or 11 gets 30 Shashtiamsas, a planet in the house 3,6,9 or 12 gets 15 Shashtiamsas. The reasoning is that planets in kendrahouses can easily express themselves and are therefore strong.
5. Drekkena Bala – To calculate this the planets are divided into masculine planets (Sun, Jupiter and Mars), neutral planets (Saturn and Mercury) and female planets (Venus and the Moon). If a male planet is in the first drekkana (0-10 degrees) of whatever sign it gets 15 Shashtiamsas. If a neutral planet is in the middle drekkana of whatever sign (that means it is located between 10-20 degrees of whatever sign) it gets 15 Shashtiamsas. If a female planet is located in the last
drekkana (the last 10 degrees) of whatever sign it gets 15 Shashtiamsas. The reasoning is that the first drekkana of each sign is good for male planets, the middle drekkana for neutral planets and the last drekkana for female planets.
info compiled from https://www.dirah.org/shadbala.htm
SHAD BALA COURSE
I have a very special announcement. I’m teaching a major course on Shad bala, the sixfold system of planetary analysis in Vedic astrology.
My students have been asking me to teach this course for years, and I had until now.
I describe the system of Shadbala here
Shad Bala – Sixfold Assesment of Strength
1. STHANA BALA – This is the positional strength of a planet.
2. DIG BALA – Directional strength based on residence in an angle.
3. KALA BALA – It is strength of time. It consists of different factors:
4. CHESTA BALA – Planets which are relatively slow (among them retrograde planets) get a high Chesta Bala value.
5. NAISARGIKA BALA – Strength based on natural brightness.
6. DRIK BALA – Drik Bala is called aspect strength – gives a reward based on benefic aspects and detriment for malefic aspects.
7. TOTAL SHADBALA – The points are added up and quantized.
You will learn:
- To recognize the posture of every planet and how well it “stands up” to many forms of pressure. This often shows how anger and frustration can become strength and discipline.
- How the stance of Venus shows a natural state of “feeling valued” when we interact and compromise with others. This is important in our sexual life, married life and business life.
- Finding a great teacher or guru and “stance of Jupiter”.
- The “inner force” of retrograde planets and how they lead us astray and back to the source.
- The science of aspectual strength and how to measure multiple aspects and measure their affects.
- How aspects to planets affect work, relationships and other life events.
- How to interpret the “Directional strength” of each planet and each angle. This will show you if the planet leads you where you want to go or leads you astray.
- The “planetary war” calculations and what they mean. These have been debated for centuries. I will show you how and why I use the system I use.
- The important astronomy that you must know in order to do astrology correctly. It also will prove to you once and for all that Vedic astrology is CLEARLY a sidereal based system.
CLICK HERE If you are interested in learning more about Shad bala and especially if you are interested in learning this elegant system of planetary analysis.